Sunday 14 February 2010

Potholes - happy Valentines Day

Another decent weeks training, managed 31 miles in the week and went over a few hills on Saturday, covering 45 miles. Spent the rest of Saturday in the cafe, not one but three! That's another story entirely.

Set out early Sunday to get a hour in before meeting the club. Ended up covered in frost as I rode through the freezing mist. Had to go home for an extra pair of gloves before heading to Ormskirk to meet the club.

Lots of riders at the start, split into a couple of groups and I set off with the A group. A good pace right from the start, a few riders getting dropped on each climb but catching up afterwards. Everything was in place for a good long ride until we turned left at a roundabout and then it happened. We were riding in pairs, about a dozen in the group and I was near the back. The rider inside me took me out with a flying two wheel sliding tackle and we both ended up on the road. On a football pitch it would have been a straight red card, no question.

The first thing I thought of as I saw this bike launch itself at me and realise I was going to hit the road too was my end to end ride and how much would this set me back. Fortunately, as I sat there checking that everything still worked, legs, arms, wrists, etc I seemed to be in one piece with just bumps and bruises all down my left side. The other guy, Andy wasn't so lucky and had to be collected by his wife, he needed two stitches in his mouth. It was his first time out with us as well. Spoilt Valentines Day for him too I would think. This was the cause of the accident on the inside of the turn, either the pothole or the drain cover.


I was lucky with my kit too, with nothing ripped and nothing on the bike broken. We carried on but I decided it was best not to stop at the cafe in case everything stiffened up. Only when I got home did I realise I hadn't been quite so lucky. As I took my gloves off, my NEW winter gloves, a birthday present in January, I realised I had ripped the palm on one. Then I took off my overshoes and the fastener on the side of my shoes fell off.
Then when I got in the shower the road rash on my elbow and knee made themselves known, as well as the lump on my ankle and the sore rib. The perils of cycling!

Still, hopefully nothing longer term than a bit of soreness for a few days. Still managed 62 miles on Sunday, giving me 138 for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment