Sunday 25 April 2010

Back to the centre of GB

First fast run of the year with the club this week, gave me a useful 42 miles at nearly 19mph. Also decided to have another go at my route around the Trough of Bowland that I had to abandon last week. With the sat-nav set, off I went on Saturday. Great weather, beautiful scenery, peace and quiet. Made it to the phone box in Dunsop Bridge that marks the centre of Great Britain, that was also the 100,000th phone box ever installed! Who said cyclists were boring!
Stopped for a coffee and basked in the sunshine for a while too. This is a picture of the box with the bike I will do my ride on, kitted out for the first time as I will ride it. I have borrowed a seat post pack which will hold all my worldly possessions for 10 days. I set it up and put some weight in it to replicate what it will feel like on the journey. It worked very well, just changes the way the bike handles a bit, but should be no problem.
Put in 107 miles and 5,000ft of climbing plus rode back into a headwind for about 1.5hours, so it was a tough day. Another 200 mile plus week.
The ride gets closer, 25 days to go. I have trained well, over 2,500 miles on the bike as well as a few hours on a turbo trainer. I have sorted out my nutrition for the ride, know what I need to fuel up on during the 10 days. I have planned a route, that now takes me through Wootton Bassett but adds about 50 odd miles. I have trained with the seatpack I will carry everything in.
What's left to do? Just split my route into 10 days, book B&B's, make sure they have somewhere I can store my bike and wash my kit, that they will take in a parcel for me containing all the energy products I will use. Arrange getting to Lands End and back from John'o'Groats. Get my bike serviced, sort some spares and tools to carry. Maybe invest in some different shorts? Used my new club shorts for the Trough ride on Saturday which have left me a bit saddle sore. (Enough detail!). I can't afford to have the trip spoilt by something like that, not after all the effort that has gone into it so far.
I think I need to get busy on the logistics, it feels very close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment