Sunday 11 April 2010

Collecting football clubs....

No, not the latest game for billionaires trying to outdo each other, but the theme for my ride on Saturday. It's hard to keep thinking of new places to go to get the miles in, so I hit on the idea of visiting football clubs. Set off at 7am to start the day with my own club, Everton, forced myself around the park to visit Anfield. When a taxi driver asked if I wanted my picture in front of the Shankly Gates I politely refused.
Carried on to Wigan, still too early for a pie though, then through Haigh Hall on the way to Bolton. Then the slog over Winter Hill and on to
Blackburn, carrying on to Accrington for a coffee in the sunshine. I did ask a local about the famous Accrington Stanley but he couldn't tell me where the ground was, so I gave it a miss and headed to Burnley which was the furthest I intended to go before heading back to Preston and the National Football Museum as well as North End.
As you can see, I took a picture at each one and you might see the odd one out.
Why have I got a picture of a pub amongst all these football grounds?

Very simple, something that turned a very good day into an outstanding day. Stopped outside the pub, The Turf, just up the road from Burnley FC after visiting the ground. Trying to work on which way to go next, a guy came out of the pub so I asked him which way to Padiham. Not sure, he told me to wait a minute and went back inside. Another guy came out, gave me some directions and recognised my accent. Told him I was from Liverpool, so was he although he was the licensee of the pub. Told him what I was doing as training for a charity ride and that I had started off with my team, Everton. Turned out he was a Blue as well whose name is Larry. Asked me what charity I was supporting, Help for Heroes, when he lifted his arm up and he was wearing a H4H wristband. Some coincidences, but there is more. He then offered to try to raise money in the pub for me which was fantastic. I told him Everton had given me a signed team photo that my local pub were going to raffle. Larry then told me he had a framed, signed Phil Neville Everton shirt that he offered to give me to raise money for the charity. What can I say, just absolutely knocked out by his kindness and generosity.It also turned out his uncle lives about 400m from where I live. If you are ever in Burnley, visit The Turf and buy Larry a pint from me.
As a postscript to the day, when I was 10 miles from home, with 113 miles on the clock my chain snapped. Still couldn't spoil the day though.
Got in another 75 miles on Sunday, which, with one night ride got me over 200 miles training for the week.

2 comments:

  1. Super effort Steve. Interesting theme. I couldn't have bought myself to go to analfield. You are really clocking those miles up mate. We had a decent week with regard miles too. You had better think about a spare chain for your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's hope for the Human Race yet. What a great guy. Keep riding Steve.

    ReplyDelete