Sunday 18 April 2010

Journey to the centre of Great Britain


Why the phone box? I decided that my target for Saturdays ride would be to visit the exact geographic centre of Great Britain. It is in Dunsop Bridge and the exact spot is marked by this phone box with beautifully etched glass and a placque explaining its unique position. Only this is not my photo. I set off but just after leaving Preston, heading towards Longridge my trusty steed starting making ominous noises. If any of you know the Forest of Bowland area you will know it is one of the least densely populated and most undiscovered parts of the country. In other words, not the place to have a breakdown. So, I headed for home, swapped to another bike and continued my ride to get 100 miles in. Took my bike in to the local bike hospital (or Middletons Bike Shop in Ormskirk), later in the day for some intensive care. Maybe the miles are starting to take their toll!
Another club ride on Sunday took my total for the weekend to just under 200 miles, 224 miles for the week.
Just over 4 weeks to go, really must get around to finalising my route and booking B&B's. I have decided to change the first part of my route so that I can visit Wootton Bassett, but more about that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment