Wednesday 19 May 2010

Day 1 of the Ride




Stayed in Sennen Cove before the first day, woke early, hearty breakfast, strolled to the harbour, drizzly day but who cares I am off riding my bike. Spoke to everyone at home then decided it was time to get kitted up. After spending Saturday morning laying all my kit, spares, food, toiletries, etc I spread it all out ready to dress and pack. Then that sinking heart feeling! What, no shorts! Can't understand how I managed it. Quick call to the guy who drove me down and off to Penzance to become 90 pounds lighter at the bike shop. Who privatised Lands End, the only way to get to the iconic fingerpost is to pay to have your photo taken. The Cameron/Clegg government need to put these iconic monuments back into public ownership, never mind proportional representation. Spent the entire day in a grey, drizzly mist, never actually saw anything beyond the hedgerow. Stopped at a shop near tonights b&b and a little old lady stopped to tell me she had passed me on the hill, and yes, she was in a car not on her bike. She gave me £3 for the charity which made my day. The couple at the b&b offered to feed me as I was riding for charity which was really kind and a great meal. Finished off with home made fruit crumble & custard, then cake. My mum had a visit from a nurse today who saw printed copies of my blog there and donated £10 to support me. Three acts of kindness, a good day out. Todays totals 80 miles, 4hr44, 17average.

3 comments:

  1. And he's off! Good luck Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb effort today Steve and a great average considering the terrain. Hoping you have a better day weatherwise tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riding with no shorts would be interesting. I hope the weather improves mate.

    ReplyDelete