Saturday 29 May 2010

Day 10 of the ride, the last day

The final day of an amazing adventure dawned with bright sunshine. I wanted to get out early to make the most of the day, hit the road at 8.15. Went past the Dunroamin Hotel, who stayed open and fed me last night. If you ever go to Bonar Bridge don't go to the Bridge Inn, spend your money at Dunroamin and tell them I sent you. Filled my bottles and pockets at Lairg as there is nothing after this for 30 miles but wilderness, the road is single track with passing places. The bad weather came in as I left, back to cold, wet through, frozen hands and feet with 'ice cream' headache. It stopped as I got near to the Crask Inn, a pub that opens when they feel like it in the wilderness. It was open, just a Belgian couple inside as the owner had gone out for 10 minutes. Took on the traditional coffee & cake. The cake was a German recipe for friendship cake, made with yeast. The idea being that you pass some of the yeast on to friends. Not what you expect to learn in a Scottish wilderness. Caught up with another ender just before getting to Tongue. Tom and I shared some experiences. He was stopping there so we went our own ways. I had reached the north coast and turned east, the road is a rollercoaster for about 25 miles. I was still having the same problems with my right thigh as yesterday but my odd riding style was also causing me an achilles problem. Reaching Thurso was a key moment, 19 miles to go, time for a last coffee & cake infusion. The last 19 miles passed and I turned left 1/4 mile from John'o'Groats. Took off my rain jacket and gilet, it might have been cold and rainy but I wanted to arrive in my Help for Heroes top. Rolled into the car park and up to the post. Guess what, just like Lands End, the sign is private and as it was 5.30 the photographer had taken it home. I had my photo taken with a post minus any fingers. After phoning home I went back up the road to wait for a bus. Waited in a bar with a pot of tea. An Aussie couple chatted about what I had done and I got a final donation from 2 cyclists due to start tomorrow. They and their wives joined me to ask for advice. I told them to take time to enjoy it and meet other people. When the bus came the cyclists paid for my tea. The bus driver had lots of questions for me too, a nice way to round up the trip. The ride was the physical challenge I expected but brought emotional and mental challenges I never expected. Every rider I met lost track of time, days and places. The lesson was about the journey, not places, days or times. I beat the negative thoughts that came through, I didn't let the weather stop me. Today I even growled at it, testosterone running high. Every text, call or message helped me to get through this, everyone who encouraged me, rode with me or took time to wish me well motivated me. I didn't do this on my own, I did it with all of you. Thank you all for helping me to help the real heroes. Biggest thanks to my wife, Gill, she gave me the time and encouragement to do this and I will never forget the adventure she made possible. A final thought, get out there and challenge yourself to do something extraordinary, you will never regret it.


2 comments:

  1. Well done mate, what an acheivement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb effort Steve, congratulations. Handing on the HMCC baton, so pressure is on! Solo through all the tough parts mate, takes some doing. Look forward to catching up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete