Thursday 20 May 2010

Day 2 of the Ride



Been riding with a smile on my face all day, although it may have become slightly twisted up some of the steeper climbs! I have to say hello to Charlotte and Sam, the children who live at last nights b&b. The only problem is that I travel all that way to find out Sam is a Liverpool fan! Charlotte gave me a present at breakfast, a Match Attax collector card of Phil Jagielka. Thank you Charlotte, Phil will come with me all the way to John'o'Groats as my good luck charm. Went over Dartmoor today which was awesome, lots of ponies with foals and sheep with lambs. The wind was against me but you can't do anything about that. I have really got into the pace for the next 10 days today. I only have to get from A to B, how long I take and how often I stop doesn't matter. I am just enjoying passing through, even taking it easy up the hills, why slog up them, get a really low gear and you can still enjoy the scenery. Todays photo is typically Devon countryside, overcast but clear and warm. Two great coffee and cake stops today, Moretonhampstead and a special mention for Boston Tea Party in Honiton. Fantastic apple and blueberry flapjack with yoghurt topping. While I was in there I was also given £16 for the charity by a group of ladies. Another moment to lift the spirits was the passer by in Exeter who called out 'well done.' I assume that was for supporting the charity rather than exposing my milky white legs for the first time this year. Made tonights stop, Chard just as the sun broke through. The high street looks great. Writing this in Weatherspoons, it's curry night, £4.99 with a pint. Todays totals 80.5m, 5hr 27, 7500ft of climbing. Average speed today 14.8mph, a combination of lots of hills and adopting the right attitude to the trip. Riding with a smile might slow you down but it feels good.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see that you will have Jags onboard with you until the lads meet up with you on Sunday. Wishing you tailwinds tomorrow. Dig in Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, sounds ideal slow up hills cake, curry and beer ....welcome to the social group!

    By the way if passing through there again the chef at the pub on the main street in moreton hampstead is a Claret.

    Just looked at the forecast looks like a nice day the wind still against you but very light.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete